Here's what was put up for winter or made and we ate~
- Tomatoes~stewed and frozen in qt bags~didn't count and ate our weight in fresh ones too!
- Green tomato sweet and sour pickes~pint jars~didn't count...2 or 3 batches, though!
- Red tomato ketchup~used Mrs. Wages mix and Splenda~1 batch.
- Salsa~didn't can this, but ate it fresh.
- Dill Pickles from Cucumbers
- Bread and Butter Pickles from Cucumbers (few yellow crook necks thrown in for color...) Splenda used.
- Yellow Crook Neck Squash Pickles (Splenda used.)
- Pickle Relish (cucumber and with sugar~given to a friend who requested.)
- Pears packed in juice
- Pear Relish
- Applesauce (no sweetner) in freezer
- Pickled beets (didn't can, we ate these LOL!)
- Pickled cauliflower (didn't can, but ate this too.)
WOW~this was loads of work, but soooooooo worth it! No wonder I'm WORN OUT lol~not really! It's such a kick to see how much we accomplished! AND the taste can not be compared. I've posted some more info on canning the pears HERE and did quite a bit of research figuring out how to get this done. I really used my freezer more in the past, but now I see how easy waterbath canning/preserving can be! I also think that canned food has less potential of spoilage~not worrying about power outages or mechanical failure of an old freezer!! So I am going to save the freezer for bread and other deals we find at the store. I am soo blessed to have a store where I can purchase whole grain~nut grain bread for FIFTY CENTS a loaf~we stock up frequently!! Also we purchase yogurt this way...a 4 or 6 pk will often be 89cents! NO JOKE! I also purchase my meats this way~in bulk at rock bottom pricing. Did you know about Thriving With No Green$? Head over and ck it out~
Betty's Holiday Fruit
- 1 bag cranberries (fresh from the fruits/veggies aisle)
- 1 qt applesauce (unsweetened)
- 1 large fresh pineapple trimmed and chopped into tidbits (if bought~1 can tidbits in juice)
- 1 Jello Sugar Free (cherry, cranberry or strawberry work best!~to your taste)
- Splenda IF you want it. I like it without.
Take the juice from the pineapple and put into sauce pot and make hot. Don't need much~about 2 tbs to 1/2 cup. Use water if don't have so much juice or from the canned pineapple. Use a lid on low heat.
Sort and wash cranberries then put into juice and stew them with a lid on. LOW heat.
When hot, add jello with NO water. Add Splenda if you want it now. Mix well. Don't break up the cranberries~they will do this as they cook.
When the cranberries are popped and stewed, add pineapple tidbits~turn off heat.
Add applesauce stir well.
Cool and then chill for DIVINE eats!
I am so thankful to God for first making our garden grow. Without His blessing, we'd not have had this bounty! Thankful for the friends who shared the freezer and the fruit: Karen/Cliff, Terry/Carol and Steve...also my Mama for her recipe and talents in teaching this ole war horse (ME~ lol) HOW to can and do...oh yeah...this is great! AND for HUB and the KIDDOS for their willingness to work that plot of land we're so blessed with~
Check out those friends HERE!