Sunday, October 3, 2010

Friday Farmgirls at Heart~Junktiques and More!

Plans4You

Stuff is driving me crazy...in fact, I am trying to pair down some because it has taken me over since our move into our current home.  Downsizing is all good~but how in the world did I miss going through and weeding out before we left the other house? It happened; it really did! AND today I am in a pickle trying to decide over a few things...

I love OLD STUFF~I am not all that thrilled with reproductions, but adore the real stuff, even with its imperfections.  I like the patina of old and used..there's a story to tell~a well worn idea or even that went along with the people of the past...
This love of the old warms my farmgirl heart as many of these items would have been used and were used in the homes of my grandparents on my father's side.  I don't have many things that were theirs, but the ones I have I love!The old jugs was my grandmothers.  I also have her treadle sewing cabinet.  My father has the old sewing machine~and it still works!  

The old cabinet is a 1920s buffet that was "rescued"  from the trash of our neighbor in KY...shhhh...LOL!  Well you see, they were remodeling the old two story house and were hauling out all kinds of stuff~and this little baby was in pieces lying on the ground...I also got some lovely chandelier pieces of antique lighting~oh yeah~ which I have used in our previous historic home and this old house...but about the buffet~hub rebuilt it and for a few years it sat in the entry way in our 1880 home in KY near the back door TO HOLD SHOES lol!! Today, it houses kitchen items! I purchased some wire shelving for the drawer areas, and the bottom drawer holds kitchen linnens!

The settee is a find! I had some young teenage married folk next door to me in the first home I ever owned which was in 1984 who were moving! They HATED the piece and sold it to me...for a little itty bitty song~now truth be told, I didn't know anything about it either...and the upholstery was awful...but for years it sat unused and covered in my bedroom and then in my daughter's bedroom until I had it recovered seven years ago~I STILL love it!  It's my favorite piece!

I left this picture as is so you can see some other things that while in flux of our move, they are quite old and a fave of mine.  The pedestal on the settee was also my grandmother's, and I've had that in my life since I was a small child.  It's a plant stand!  When I was a little girl, I used to take my foot when I would lie in my doll crib~oh yeah,,,I was that little once..and twirrl it...until I flipped it and broke out the window~I DON'T do that anymore~lol!! But today it graces that same window you see with a silk (right now) flower, soon to be potted plant (brought in from the cold that's coming...).  I have repainted it~it's always been black.

You can also see the piano stool...we own the piano too, that belonged to hub's grandmother.  It's more valuable than the piano, so I'm told, but I like the claw/ball feet on it.  Now this stool is quite heavy and my daughter when she was about four was sitting on it spinning.  I told her to stop...and she flipped it (SOUND familiar??) and busted her great toe~oh this was REALLY bad...LIKE her mama, she's learned NOT to spin... 












I want to tell you about these pendant lights my hub made for over our kitchen sink.  The globes are antiques from our home in KY...they  were on the lights in the upstairs that were solid copper. I didn't take the copper part as I believed the house should be as original as possible, but as a memento of the home we loved, hub recreated these for me...A wonderful friend did the rooster in my colors~I love it!

This isn't a brag session, but more of an exercise for me to focus on the good things in our home...we are still remodeling and since there is a fruit basket turnover of rooms these next few weeks, things are looking pretty rough... NO pics, pleeeze! LOL!! I promise once things ever get settled down around here (soon, I hope) to take pics and show ya our progress! DEFINITELY before Christmas!! ;-)) (AND I'm weeding out too~oh yeah!)

It's my farmgirl heart to enjoy old and sometimes FOUND stuff~repurposed and sometimes left as is or redone...
Head on over to  HERE to ck out the other farmgirls...

1 comment:

Illinois Lori said...

Thanks for the tour, and yes, those old pieces are beautiful! Consider joining Shani and the rest of us for "Tackle-It Tuesdays" (there's a link on my blog) where we post the before and after shots of the jobs that are so big or overwhelming that we need to help each other to NOT put them off! The before pics are brutally honest (these are our "big mess" places), but the after shots are so rewarding!

Blessings,
Lori