Sunday, October 18, 2009

Is It Easy to Homeschool?


This question, asked by the Trivium Pursuit FaceBook Fan Page FREEBIE  was answered by several homeschooling moms, but I know Julieanne who is a fellow blogger and a sweet gal I worked with on the maiden voyage of The Old Schoolhouse Crew doing product reviews.  Julieanne gave a comprehensive answer to this question I think, and I couldn't agree with her more. With her permission, I want to share her remarks with you. Oh, read on, there's some real wisdom here and honest evaluation of the task~not so much mushy gooshy stuff, but some of the real nuts and bolts of the task!

Thanks Julieanne!
Go visit her blog http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/iLoveHomeschooling/

Sometimes, homeschooling is very hard, even when done in the Lord's strength. I love teaching my children at home, and I haven't found it all that hard because they are bright, and they are also eager learners. But, some people would say what I do is very hard, because we are very careful with our $$ spending, our personal free time is much more ... Read sic (Way) more limited as adults, our extra room is full of books, supplies, and materials instead of a craft room or study. Things are just different! But not hard for me. It takes up most of my personal time, and since I love what I'm doing with my children, it's fine with me. But for moms who have children with learning disabilities, or they are used to having extra money to do whatever they want, or they are used to having a lot of free time to explore their hobbies and interests, or socialize with their friends all the time, then homeschooling may be very, very hard for them.

It's the best "job" (aka "ministry") that I've ever had, and I wouldn't trade it for anything! But a lot of moms I know who don't homeschool would think it would be too hard because they don't want to learn patience, they don't want to give up their finances, and their free time, and some aren't willing to work hard with children who have learning disabilities. Those moms would find homeschooling extremely hard!

I couldn't agree with her more! Homeschooling isn't easy.  It comes with the everyday struggles/sacrifices of learning to live within a family, navigating the world around us and teaching as we go our children. Do-able? Yes, for those who are God called.  I don't believe everyone should homeschool, but probably not for the reasons you might think...this will be another post I think ;-)) I also don't think public school is so great either.  You can read about my experiences HERE.



Julieanne, Thank you for allowing me to share your insights into homeschooling!

If you are thinking about homeschooling, then just know there will be tough times and sacrifices, but the rewards are out of this world!
blessings,

No comments: